Sunday, November 8, 2020

A641.3.3.RB - Emotional Intelligence: Getting Results!

Emotional Intelligence is a range of abilities which include self-awareness, emotional self-management, empathy, and social skills.  Each of the four dimensions apply to all of us in some form or fashion.  

Self-Awareness - 
Self-awareness is something that I think everyone possesses. However, I believe that we overestimate our ability to self-analyze our impact and positions on many different things, especially when our emotions are impacted.  Being self-aware of my own emotional state helps me talk with others and resonate with them effectively. I firmly believe it is vital to control of one's emotions prior to interacting and building bonds with others. Being self-aware also limits the amount of volatility with emotions and relationships. This, in turn, makes it easier to engage and correct any dissonance with a team.

A few books, specifically 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in my Head by Dan Harris, started my journey of self-awareness.  Meditation and mindfulness allow me to have thoughts without judgement and reactive emotions.  Furthermore, remaining in the present allows me not to focus on the past or future.  It lets me live in the moment and enjoy the present.  Meditation and mindfulness have also helped in times of stress realize that the situation may not be as extreme as it might appear.  It lets me to remain self-aware and regulate and control my emotions, thus building my emotional intelligence.

Self-Management
Whetten & Cameron describe emotional intelligence as "the ability to diagnose, understand, and manage emotional cues"(p.49) I've always been an emotional person and can easily able to recognize my emotions. Perhaps it's because I'm a woman, a mother or Italian but controlling my emotions seems to be a bit more difficult for me. As I've aged, though, I've noticed I can regulate my emotions, depending on the situation and environment. I believe that if I can control impulsive feelings and behaviors, manage my emotions in healthy ways, take initiative, follow through on commitments, and adapt to changing circumstances, it will only make me a better leader. I would also say that I am very good at recognizing others' emotions and empathize with them. Moreover, since beginning this program, I've learned to think critically about my emotions and responses to people and situations.

Social Awareness - One dimension I have improved in yet still have tons of room for improvement is social awareness. I have some trouble assessing certain situations and how to approach those situations. While I may not understand how to approach other situations, I freeze up and shut myself down. Most people do not know how to handle that, so it essentially leads to me being misunderstood. However, there is one aspect of social awareness I am great at. This aspect is empathy. I have an uncanny ability to put myself in someone else’s shoes and tell them exactly what they need to hear. In a way I can inspire them all thanks to my empathy.

Social Skills - The fourth element, social skill, is the ability to put the three previously discussed together and learn how to be a team player in handling relationships competently (Goleman, 2012).  As a kid, I was very shy and introverted.  When I joined the Air Force it was difficult to crack out of my "shell".  However, once I started getting promoted and put in positions with legitimate power, I realized I needed to step up to the plate to be the best Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) and Senior NCO I could be.  My determination allowed me to overcome obstacles such as my quiet personality.

While I feel that I have a pretty good grasp on Emotional Intelligence and I have definitely improved, I also understand that I have many things to learn in this area and that this is something that requires my attention every day. For example, sometimes instead of addressing problems, I avoid them. This avoidance obviously does not help my ability to be social and develop my skills.

 All in all, I still have a long way to go in developing my emotional intelligence. I do not see this as a bad thing though. Instead, continuously working at this will allow me to fully develop my skills. Doing so will allow me to use these tactics in all facets of life which could help me tremendously.


References:
Big Think. (2012, April 23). Daniel Goleman Introduces Emotional Intelligence | Big Think. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU. 
Goleman, D. (2007) Daniel Goleman introduces emotional intelligence. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU
Goleman, D. (2012). Why aren't we more compassionate? TED. https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_goleman_why_aren_t_we_more_compassionate.
Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K. S. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Essex, England: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment