Wednesday, July 8, 2020

A634.6.3.RB - What are Virtues?

Benjamin Franklin's self-improvement program included 13 virtues that he felt were important guides for living along with principles for each that would, in his opinion, define a person of good character. He developed a scorecard for evaluating how well he measured up to his own ideals. Throughout his life, Franklin tried to live by these virtues though not always successfully. 
Select three of Franklin's virtues and reflect upon them in your blog. Ask yourself, how can I include them in my daily life? 

According to the PBS Virtue quiz, I scored pretty well overall and am on the right path. The quiz was simple but made me think about how I live and the daily choices I make.  I definitely can improve many areas of my life in order to live virtuously like Benjamin Franklin.  Temperance, Resolution and Cleanliness are three areas the quiz suggested I might want to improve. 



Temperance. 
Temperance, or self-restraint, is a virtue that I can improve.  I grew up with two alcoholic parents, so I am very familiar with those who do not drink in moderation.  From a very young age I vowed not to live like that.  However, that "addictive" personality gene must have slipped through when it comes to eating.  I am not overweight by any means but I am a food lover and often over indulge, especially on Thanksgiving which is why I probably scored low on this particular question/virtue.  Additionally, I am sure there are ways to improve this virtue on a daily basis, personally and professionally.  Norz (2015) states, "temperance comes into play frequently because, like the millions who exceed speed limits every day, there are many circumstances in which companies can violate laws for years with little risk of getting caught".  For example, at work one of my responsibilities is to review individual's qualification training and recommend them for increased certifications once the prerequisites are met.  This is a tedious task that requires multiple layers of supervisory review.  Since being in my position, I have relied heavily on my training manager to review "the little things" in the package prior to my concurrence and approval.  However, I recently realized the "little things" are getting missed.  While it's easy to blame the training manager, it is ultimately my responsibility which i was "speeding" through.  
"Evaluate your own habits and consider the degree to which you may be failing to restrain yourself from “speeding” at work. Make adjustments as needed to be more temperate" (Norz, 2015). 

Resolution.
This virtue of resolution ties nicely with temperance.  Just as I must use self-restraint to not "speed" through my tasks, I must also resolve to see them through.  In my position I often feel as if I am a Firefighter, constantly putting out fires at work and never getting to the daily responsibilities.  I had set specific goals for my team which now months later, have not been met.  Building resolve requires that I accept responsibility for myself, my life and my choices.  It is up to me and me alone to create the life I want to live (Spiritualwarriorscholar, 2018).  Additionally, I must be accountable for what I say and do...or don't do.  

Cleanliness.
I have always considered myself a clean person. I try to keep a tidy house.  However, after self reflection my toleration has 'shifted'.  Daily life with a full time job, three kids and Master's level classes requires a delicate balance.  If one's attention shifts too much to work, the home life will eventually 'feel' the shift and vice versa.  Through self reflection I realize that I tolerate 'uncleanliness' in order to focus my attention more on my family and work.  I believe another point in this virtue was to show how things should be handled in the moment and for one not to procrastinate.  If my toleration for uncleanliness worsens, my toleration for other aspects of my life will progressively worsen, potentially.  One way to combat procrastination is through mental rehearsal.  According to Peper, et al. (2014) “mental rehearsal is role-playing in your imagination. The more you imagine yourself performing the desired (or undesired!) behavior, the more likely it is that you will actually perform that behavior. Mental imagery is a process in which a behavior or a performance is rehearsed mentally, as if the person is actually performing it” (p. 83). This technique can be useful in reducing procrastination and improving resolve.  

Benjamin Franklin’s virtues are listed below (Ben's 13 Virtues, n.d.):
  1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness. Drink not to elevation.
  2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
  3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
  4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e., Waste nothing.
  6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes, or habitation.
  11. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

References:
Ben's 13 Virtues. (n.d.). Retrieved from Ben's 13 Virtues: http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/pop_virtues_list.html
Norz, J. (2015, May 7). Temperance — The Cornerstone of an Ethical Corporate Culture. Retrieved from https://www.corporatecomplianceinsights.com/temperance-cornerstone-ethical-corporate-culture/
Peper, Erik, PhD., B.C.B., Harvey, R., PhD., Lin, I., & Duvvuri, P. (2014). Increase productivity, decrease procrastination, and increase energy. Biofeedback (Online), 42(2), 82-87.
Spiritualwarriorscholar. (2018, October 25). ON THE VIRTUE OF RESOLUTION. Retrieved July 09, 2020, from https://theeclecticmethod.com/2018/02/02/on-the-virtue-of-resolution/

No comments:

Post a Comment