Saturday, June 20, 2020

A634.3.4.RB - The Harder They Fall


Using concepts from the Kramer (2003) article as a baseline, share your insights on dilemmas that happen in:

  • in society
  • at work
  • and in your life
The article The Harder They Fall by Roderick Kramer was insightful and made me reevaluate my leadership. Kramer's article attempts to differentiate between those leaders who can stay in power peacefully versus those who crash and burn. "Why do so many individuals fall prey to stunning bouts of folly once they seize power?"(Kramer, 2003, p. 60). This may be naïve, but I feel most of us at work, in society and life, want to do good things and strive to better. However, if that is true, how do we continually have leaders, parents, teachers, coaches and public servants making unethical decisions such as lying, stealing, cheating and embezzling?

When I read about the executive, Marjorie Peel in Kramer’s article, in many ways I could relate with her; being a charismatic student and later was laser focused on her career. The story discusses how Peel was “generous with praise, quick to recognize others’ achievements” – yet as she ascended the corporate ladder, she “became more demanding of her subordinates and devoted little time to mentoring them.” While reading I was once again reminded about Lee Ellis’ declaration that even the strongest leaders in history have fallen short. "Even with a commitment to ethical and moral values and strong self-discipline, we can still get off track in our integrity and honor – no one is perfect” (Ellis, 2016, p.3). What I believe was missing in Peel’s (and most other leader’s) life and leadership was accountability.

Accountability is taking initiative with thoughtful, strategic follow-through. (Bregman, 2016) Without accountability, no one will learn from mistakes and trust (in leadership and the organization) will diminish. "When employees (and let’s be fair, managers do this too) don’t hold themselves responsible for their actions, it prevents anyone from learning from them" (Pomeroy, 2015, para 4). Seeing that accountability is a continual issue in our society, forces me to look inward.

As a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer (SNCO) holding a key position in my organization, I reflected on implications of accountability from an individual perspective. Personally, I have a responsibility to encourage leadership and hold myself and others accountable. Airmen, through self-discipline, adhere to high standards and we hold our fellow Airmen accountable to follow our standards (2012). If I do not have personal accountability, I cannot lead by example nor can I effectively hold others accountable for their actions. One of the best ways of holding myself accountable at work is asking supervisors, subordinates and peers for candid feedback. This past week I asked for a list of personnel with overdue training. My training monitor gave me a copy and posted a different one on our training board. Upon doing so he stated, “don’t worry, I took your name off the one I posted”. I immediately told him to repost it. Just I hold my Airmen and NCOs accountable, I need accountability. Moreover, I believe in transparency. If I am not meeting the standard, I will hold myself to the same consequences as I enforce.


At home, my husband and I have candid conversations about life, leadership, parenting and other tough topics. He has been my sounding board for almost as long as I've known him. I trust his decision-making and guidance. Bryan is very straight-forward and strong-willed, I would also say he is a critical thinker. I often turn to him for support, direction, and feedback. We both work aircraft maintenance and until recently have worked in the same sections. Therefore, he knows what I deal with on a day-to-day basis and understands my situations. I am very open to feedback, but I know it's hard for most people to give it. Bryan doesn't have that problem. He listens to me and without bias, gives open and honest feedback on my leadership struggles.  Through his feedback, an open mind, and accountability I improve my leadership abilities and strengthen my values.


References: 
Ellis, L. (2016). Engage with honor: Building a culture of courageous accountability. Cumming, GA: FreedomnStar Media.
Roderick M Kramer. (2003). The harder they fall. Harvard Business Review., 81(10).
Air Force culture: Air Force standards. (2012). Washington, DC: Department of the Air Force.
Bregman, P. (2016, March 09). The Right Way to Hold People Accountable. Retrieved April 08, 2018, from https://hbr.org/2016/01/the-right-way-to-hold-people-accountable
Pomeroy, S. (2015, October 06). Why Accountability in the Workplace Matters. Retrieved April 08, 2018, from https://talentculture.com/why-accountability-in-the-workplace-matters/

No comments:

Post a Comment